The Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions is a research and engagement network across four collaborating research universities – University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, Simon Fraser University, and University of Northern British Columbia.
PICS supports the cogeneration of climate solutions research that can be actively used by decision-makers to develop effective mitigation and adaptation policies and actions in BC and beyond.
PICS was officially established in March 2008 through an endowment from the British Columbia Ministry of Environment. PICS is a catalyst for generating climate change solutions. We support an approach to our programs and research that defines meaningful activities focused on partnerships and engagement, helping solution seekers become effective solution makers, from question to collaboration, and idea to action.
PICS aims to:
- Advance the global knowledge base on climate change solutions
- Develop effective mitigation and adaptation solution options that are actively used by policy and decision-makers
- Foster partnerships and networks that build capacity in addressing climate change
- Promote an interdisciplinary approach to climate solutions
- Communicate and inspire engagement on climate solutions options by government, business, and the general public
To achieve these objectives, PICS carries out a number of research, education and outreach programs:
- Opportunity Projects Program
- Research Engagement Programs
- Interdisciplinary Research
- Student Internships
- White Papers, Special Reports and other Publications
- Climate Change 101 and Teaching Resources
- Climate Change Talks and Events
CURRENT RESEARCH AND PROGRAM CALLS
The Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS) has an open call for proposals under its Opportunity Projects Program. Successful projects are awarded up to $180,000 over a maximum three-year duration, and three to five awards are made per call.
In addition to a broad ask for climate mitigation or adaptation proposals, the OPPs call in 2020 includes a special one-off opportunity. In partnership with the Government of British Columbia, project funding has been set aside for a $180,000 Zero-Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) Project.
The deadline for proposals is August 04, 2020.
PICS PROGRAM COMMITTEE
The PICS program committee provides advice on the Institute's research and activities. Chaired by PICS Executive Director, Dr. Sybil Seitzinger, the 11-member committee is comprised of representatives from each of the collaborating universities alongside the BC and federal government.
Currently, two UBC faculty members sit on the committee:
Walter Merida, Director, Clean Energy Research Centre and Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UBC
Stephen Sheppard, Director of Collaborative for Advanced Landscape Planning and Professor, Department of Forest Resources Management and School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, UBC
PICS UBC PROGRAM MANAGER
Sara Muir-Owen is the PICS UBC Program Manager, and works closely with the PICS main office at UVic to manage research, fellowships, partnerships and events at UBC and throughout Metro Vancouver.
Contact Sara with your PICS related questions by email or call her at 604-822-4644.