The Workplace Sustainability Fund awards UBC Sustainability Coordinators with up to $1000 to support sustainability initiatives in their units.
Have a sustainability project idea for your department or unit? The Workplace Sustainability Fund helps turn ideas into action.
Funds are available annually for Sustainability Coordinators to pursue sustainability projects addressing at least one of the following focus areas (links provide further context to each focus area as related to UBC's Climate Action Plan 2030 and other campus plans):
- Climate Action
- Sustainable Travel and Transportation
- Climate-Friendly Food Systems
- Energy Conservation and Efficiency
- Waste Reduction (may include projects related to zero waste, reuse, recycling, procurement, circular economy)
- Education & Engagement (may include education/engagement on any of the listed focus areas -- see CAP2030 goal and this resource)
- Water Conservation
Applicants to the Fund must be registered Sustainability Coordinators.
Sustainability Coordinators in any type of workplace setting (offices, labs, facilities/maintenance/trades, food service/retail outlets etc.) are welcome to apply. Applications are open to coordinators at the Point Grey Campus, Robson Square Campus and Teaching Hospital Sites. SCs have sometimes partnered with non-SC colleagues to design and implement a project, though the SC must be the primary applicant.
Workplace Sustainability Fund applications for 2022 will be open from January 5, 2022 - Feb. 6, 2022.
Funding application process:
- Review the Funding Criteria and Guidelines
- Complete the Funding Application Form
- Submit applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about eligibility, project suitability, or would like to learn more about the fund, please contact email@example.com.
Congratulations to our 2020/21 grant recipients!
- Geography: Surplus Recycling Coordinator ($800) (Suzanne Lawrence and Sandy Lapsky)
- UBC Farm Centre for Sustainable Food Systems: Plastic Reduction Initiative for Campus Farmers' Markets ($800) (Jaylin Melnichuk)
- Asian Studies: Asian Studies Sustainability Website Development ($800) (Maija Norman)
- Library: Library #ClimateAction Movie Night Online ($800) (Felicia de La Parra)
- UBC Go Global and Office of the Vice-Provost International: UBC's Global Engagement and Climate Change ($1600) (Matthew Lyle and Hannah Oliwa)
Funds awarded to date have supported various projects, including:
EcoFootprint Initiative – Department of Asian Studies
- Textile Recycling & Refundable Container Secure Storage Space Project – UBC Athletics & Recreation
- Athletes Communicating Climate Action: Workshops and Film - UBC Climate Hub
- Plastic Bag Use Reduction Initiative - UBC Bookstore
- Mugshare Program & Activities - Centre for Teaching Learning & Technology
- Sustainability Lunch and Learn series - Supply Management
- Recycling and composting education initiatives - School of Population and Public Health
- Styrofoam reduction and recycling pilot programs - Brain Research Centre and the Life Sciences Institute
- E-waste educational event and recycling drive - Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability
ADDITIONAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Learn more about additional funding opportunities for sustainability projects at UBC.