The Workplace Sustainability Fund is available for Sustainability Coordinators seeking additional funding to bolster projects or initiatives within their respective units.
Do you have project idea for your department or unit? The Workplace Sustainability Fund helps turn ideas into action.
Funds are available annually for Sustainability Coordinators to pursue sustainability projects addressing at least one of the following focus areas:
- Climate Action
- Food Systems
- Waste & Materials (may include projects related to zero waste, reuse, recycling, procurement, circular economy)
- Education & Engagement (may include education/engagement on any of the listed focus areas -- see CAP2030 goal and this resource)
Applicants to the fund must be registered Sustainability Coordinators.
Sustainability Coordinators in any type of workplace setting (offices, labs, facilities/maintenance/trades, food service/retail outlets etc.) are welcome to apply. Applications are open to coordinators at the Point Grey Campus, Robson Square Campus and Teaching Hospital Sites. SC's have sometimes partnered with non-SC colleagues to design and implement a project, though the SC must be the primary applicant.
Workplace Sustainability Fund applications for 2023 will be open from January 5, 2023 - Feb. 6, 2023.
Funding application process:
- Review the Funding Criteria and Guidelines (coming soon)
- Complete the Funding Application Form (coming soon)
- Submit applications via email to email@example.com
If you have any questions about eligibility, project suitability, or would like to learn more about the fund, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to our 2023/24 grant recipients!
- UBC Go Global and Office of the Vice-Provost International: Student Educational Travel and the Climate Crisis ($1000) (Mathew Lyle)
- School of Information: Great Canadian Shore Beach/Park Clean-up ($990) (Debra Locke)
- University Neighbourhoods Association: Sustainable Events Pilot Project ($1000) (Robyn Chan)
- Centre for Blood Research/OBMS: Circular Loop Lap Plastic Recycling Through Polycarbins Recycling Boxes ($1000) (Dr. Reinhild Kappelhoff)
Funds awarded to date have supported various projects, including:
- Great Canadian Shoreline Beach or Park Clean Up – School of Information
- Sustainability Eco Challenge Project – Department of Asian Studies
- UBC's Global Engagement and Climate Change – UBC Go Global and Office of the Vice-Provost International
- Pilot Project for the Recycling of Gloves (Non-Biohazardous), Non-Surgical and N95 Masks in the Centre for Blood Research – Centre for Blood Research/OBMS
Surplus Recycling Coordinator – Department of Geography
Plastic Reduction Initiative for Campus Farmers' Markets – UBC Farm Centre for Sustainable Food Systems
Asian Studies Sustainability Website Development – Department of Asian Studies
Library #ClimateAction Movie Night Online – UBC Library
UBC's Global Engagement and Climate Change – UBC Go Global and Office of the Vice-Provost International
EcoFootprint Initiative – Department of Asian Studies
- Textile Recycling & Refundable Container Secure Storage Space Project – UBC Athletics & Recreation
- Athletes Communicating Climate Action: Workshops and Film – UBC Climate Hub
- Plastic Bag Use Reduction Initiative – UBC Bookstore
- Mugshare Program & Activities – Centre for Teaching Learning & Technology
- Sustainability Lunch and Learn series – Supply Management
- Recycling and composting education initiatives – School of Population and Public Health
- Styrofoam reduction and recycling pilot programs – Brain Research Centre and the Life Sciences Institute
- E-waste educational event and recycling drive – Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability
ADDITIONAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Learn more about additional funding opportunities for sustainability projects at UBC.